Along with volunteering at Cooks Children’s Hospital and MHMR of Tarrant County, PMG takes part in a company-wide service project every quarter. This quarter, the PMG family participated in a LUNGevity Breathe Deep 5K event hosted at Texas Christian University on January 28, 2016.
The 5K Neon Glow Run benefited the LUNGevity Foundation, the nation’s largest lung cancer research nonprofit. According to the LUNGevity website, 1 in 15 Americans will be diagnosed with lung cancer in their lifetimes. It is the most commonly diagnosed cancer worldwide, with over 1.8 million new cases each year.
The deadly impact of lung cancer:
- Lung cancer accounts for 13% of all new cancer diagnosis but accounts for 27% of cancer deaths
- Every 2.5 minutes someone is diagnosed with lung cancer
- 433 people will die from lung cancer today
- 60-65% of all new lung cancer diagnoses are among people who have never smoked or are former smokers
- 10-15% of lung cancer cases are in the never-smokers category
- Only 18% of individuals diagnosed with lung cancer survive five years or more
- Lung cancer takes more lives annually than the next four deadliest cancers combined
- Long cancer kills 3x as many men as prostate cancer; Twice as many women as breast cancer
- Although lung cancer is the deadliest cancer, only 6% of federal research dollars spent on cancer research are spent on lung cancer
By participating in the walk and supporting lung cancer victims and survivors, PMG not only raised awareness for this deadly disease but helped to raise hundreds of dollars for lung cancer research. We are proud to join the fight against lung cancer and help all people impacted by the disease to breathe deep.
For more information about lung cancer and our team’s contribution to eradicating the disease, visit: Lungevity.org/TCU