CANNES, FRANCE – June 27, 2016 – Everything came up roses last week for Beats by Dre, PMG, and the agency partners who also worked on the #StraightOutta campaign as Team Beats won seven awards at the prestigious Cannes Lions International Festival of Creativity. The campaign, which was lauded by the global press after launch last fall for its innovative approach, won three Gold Lions, three Silver Lions, one Bronze Lion, and was shortlisted in three other categories, making it one of the most acclaimed campaigns at Cannes.
“This was our first time winning at Cannes, and we are truly honored,” said George Popstefanov, president and founder of PMG. He added, “This competition is one of, if not the, most prestigious in the advertising industry, and to have judges from around the world choose our work above others of such high caliber is fantastic, amazing, and exciting.”
#StraightOutta’s haul of Cannes Lions awards included:
- Cyber Lion: Co-Creation & User Generated Content – SILVER
- Direct Lion: Co-Creation & User Generated Content – GOLD
- Entertainment for Music Lion: Use of User Generated Content – SILVER
- Media Lion: Use of Social Platforms – BRONZE
- Media Lion: Use of Co-Creation & User Generated Content – SILVER
- Mobile Lion: Social Trends – GOLD
- Promo Lion: Co-Creation & User Generated Content: GOLD
#StraightOutta launched last year to support the release of the film, Straight Outta Compton. What began as a simple meme generator became a viral social trend that swept through the world. The campaign became the top trending item simultaneously on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter – making Beats by Dre the first brand to ever achieve that. There were 8.7 million memes created overall, including one from the White House, and the campaign drove tremendous earned media, reaching 1.2 billion people worldwide.
Watch the case study video below, and to read more about the campaign, click here.